Jump to Navigation

Planning for financial life after divorce

When a couple divorces, one party may be ordered to pay temporary or permanent spousal support, otherwise known as alimony, to their ex-spouse. According to a report, alimony payments from one ex-spouse to another might well account for a significant portion of the recipient's financial welfare.

The report went on to advise that the recipient should make plans in case of the end or a future lower amount of support. Recipients are advised to make adjustments to their budget in case of changing support awards. Nowadays, retirement incomes may be split between the parties instead of maintenance support. Each spouse needs to know those figures. A spouse may use alimony to pay for higher education to get a better-paying job.

In Texas, there are laws regarding maintenance, which are periodic payments to one spouse as a part of the award at the end of a marriage. The Texas court can order maintenance from a spouse if they were convicted of domestic violence while the divorce suit was pending or within two years of the dissolution of marriage; the marriage lasted more than 10 years or longer and the spouse seeking support does not have enough property to care for themselves; or, is unable to support themselves due to mental or physical disability. A Texas family law attorney is educated in Texas family law and works to represent a spouse in a divorce case not only when the marriage is being dissolved, but also to help protect their client's financial interests if they are unable to support themselves.

Source: Texas Family Code, "Title 1, Subtitle C, Chapter 8, Subchapter A."

Source: Fox Business, "How to Financially Readjust for Post-Divorce Life", Andrea Murad, August 02, 2013

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.