Jump to Navigation

Modyfing parenting plans in Texas

Parents in Texas may benefit from understanding more about the modifications available for those who need to change their parenting plan. Any modifications made to an existing parenting plan must be in accordance with the child's best interest. In order to receive a modification to an existing plan, courts typically require some substantial change in a parent's or child's living condition.

Some changes that may warrant modification to a child support agreement include failure to comply the parameters of the parenting plan, financial hardships, changes in the parent-child relationship or problems with substance abuse. Family courts typically balance the noncustodial parent's income and the child needs when presiding over a high-asset divorce. Often times, disputing parents and family judges may disagree on how to define or evaluate the reasonable needs of the child.

A judge may be compelled to modify an existing child support agreement if the child's needs change or if a parent or child's quality of health changes. Some of the other circumstances that may warrant modifying these types of agreements include a parent remarrying, a parent losing a job, a parent getting a new job or some other change in a parent's finances. Custodial parents who desire more support and noncustodial parents interested in paying less support typically petition for this types of modification.

Our lawyers have helped hundreds of clients to modify their divorce agreements. If you're a parent or guardian interesting in petitioning for a modification to an existing parenting plan, please view our page on modifying divorce agreements.

Source: Bruce Turner With Bennett, Weston Lajone & Turner, P.C., "Helping You When Your Needs Change", November 06, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.