Jump to Navigation

Modifying child support orders in Texas

Child support orders are commonly set out at the time of a divorce or the dissolution of a relationship. Custody decisions, spousal maintenance issues and other related questions are usually settled during the finalization of the divorce and encoded into a court order that sets forth the relevant amounts and schedule. However, changing circumstances may require new arrangements. It is sometimes necessary to go before the court to demonstrate that the situation has altered and previous commitments are no longer appropriate.

The original order remains in force until it is superseded. It is essential to continue to comply with the terms of the original order and to continue making the required child support payments until the new order has been signed by the appropriate judge.

The court must be approached with a Petition to Modify the Parent-Child Relationship. Any affected parties must be notified through an official process server, unless they choose to file an Answer with the court. They may also submit a notarized Waiver of Service. In many circumstances, the Texas Attorney General's Office must be informed as well. The case is then considered by the judge. After the adjudication process is completed, the court will issue a signed Order in Suit to Modify the Parent-Child Relationship.

Texas child support orders must be changed in the jurisdiction in which they were filed. If they were not filed in Texas, then it will be necessary to work through the state in which the original order was handed down in order to have the child support payment modified. If the child has been living in a new jurisdiction, then the original court may be petitioned to move the case over after six months of residence. An attorney may be a useful guide in these and other family law matters.

Source: TexasLawHelp.org, "How do I change custody and child support orders? ", January 04, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.