Jump to Navigation

Methods for collecting child support from parents outside Texas

When a noncustodial parent moves to another state, he or she is not beyond the reach of legal means to ensure that child support payments continue to reach the child or children still residing in Texas. Several forms of enforcement can be used to collect money when someone falls behind on child support.

According to the office of the Attorney General of Texas, all states in the country are obligated to cooperate in the collection of child support. The Child Support Division can inform other states of court orders to pay and then proceed with collections. If the noncustodial parent has a job, a garnishment can be put on his or her wages. This takes the money owed out of the person's paycheck.

Another enforcement option can be employed at tax time when tax refunds are being issued. A court order to pay child support can take funds out of the tax refund before it reaches the noncustodial parent. Lottery winnings or other types of money given by governments can also be redirected to child support. Liens on property present another means of collecting funds. Finally, a court can take action to suspend someone's driver's license and other professional licenses. This measure is punitive but may serve to get a person's attention.

A person whose child support payments have stopped after the noncustodial parent left the state may want to consult with a family law attorney about appropriate steps for collection. An attorney might be able to assist in notifying state agencies of the delinquency and communicating court orders. If assets of the noncustodial parent can be identified, then the legal tools to collect the child support can be used.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.