Jump to Navigation

Locating a parent who is not making child support payments

Texas parents who have been awarded full custody of their children are usually entitled to receive monthly child support payments from the noncustodial parent. However, some noncustodial parents attempt to avoid their child support obligations by withholding information about their location from the custodial parent. A custodial parent who is not in communication with the noncustodial parent will need to locate the parent in order to enforce a child support order.

Finding a noncustodial parent is much easier when both parents are living in the same state. State agencies will have resources that they can use to find a parent and enforce a child support order through wage garnishment or other means. If a parent moves to a different state, the parent can elude authorities for much longer. However, if a noncustodial parent is stopped by authorities for any reason, a quick check of outstanding warrants could bring up information about delinquent child support payments.

A custodial parent who would like to track down their child's other parent should try to gather as much identifying information about the parent as possible. The parent's Social Security number, the order for child support and the child's birth certificate may help. The federal Office of Child Support Enforcement maintains the Federal Parent Locator Service, a program that can help locate deadbeat parents.

There are some cases where a mother is unable to petition for child support payments because paternity has not yet been established. An attorney may be able to help a custodial parent to locate the noncustodial parent and establish paternity if necessary. If the noncustodial parent continues to evade child support obligations, an attorney may be able to help the custodial parent take steps to enforce the child support order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.