Jump to Navigation

Dealing with divorce demands

When a Texas couple gets divorced, one party may be entitled to the marital home, alimony and child support. He or she may also be entitled to half of the current value of any retirement account that was started or appreciated in value during the marriage. However, neither party is obligated to agree to the demands of the other without a formal court order.

In some cases, it may be necessary to work with a guardian ad litem who will review the mental status of any children a couple may have. That person may then recommend that no adult other than a parent or another family member remain in the martial home overnight or for long periods of time. Typically, both parties are allowed to remain in the house assuming that they are cordial to each other or don't otherwise provide a basis for a court order to remove one person from the residence.

At some point, the home may need to be sold with proceeds split or used to help meet the best interests of the children. If a spouse requesting support is able to work, a judge may project how much he or she should be able to make. This may reduce the amount of financial assistance an individual is required to give to his or her former spouse for alimony or child support.

In a divorce case, it may be wise for an individual to seek the counsel of an attorney. An attorney may be able to help the client obtain a maximum share of marital property as well as child support or alimony if applicable.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.