Jump to Navigation

International adoptions

An international adoption could be one way to bring a child into a Texas family. An international adoption agency might be needed as there are many steps to adopting a child from another country. The U.S. State Department has a list of countries that allow American citizens to adopt.

A child from a different country is considered a foreign national and must immigrate to the United States. An individual or couple can seek "advance processing" before finding a child. This takes months and results in pre-approval for adopting internationally. At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen. Children are eligible for adoption when they are abandoned by both parents or when a single parent cannot provide for a child and will release the child for irrevocable adoption and emigration.

Parents travel to a country when finding a child and typically complete the adoption process there. After filing an Orphan Petition, the child receives the appropriate visa. When entering the country, a child with a valid visa becomes a citizen automatically. Parents will be mailed a certificate of citizenship and can have the adoption recognized by the state of Texas when returning to the U.S.

When an adoption is finalized in the United States, a child gets an IR4. A family must follow the rules for a Texas domestic final adoption and can obtain a certificate of citizenship and a Texas birth certificate once the adoption process is complete.

International adoptions are sometimes complicated and sensitive affairs, so professional support might be required when going through the process. In addition to working with an international adoption agency, one might need to consult an attorney in Texas. The attorney could help with the domestic side of matters, which may involve filing paperwork and meeting various requirements.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.