Jump to Navigation

Receiving child support from a disabled parent

When a Texas noncustodial parent who has been ordered to pay child support suddenly becomes disabled, the injury could have an impact on the parent's ability to make payments. For custodial parents who rely on child support to pay everyday expenses and other important costs, such as expenses associated with medical care, making ends meet can become difficult.

However, custodial parents should be aware that a sudden disability does not mean that a parent can immediately stop making child support payments. If the disabled parent can't afford to continue making payments, they must request a modification to the existing child support order. If the disability is temporary, the modification will probably only last until the parent goes back to work. If the disability is permanent, the modification may also be permanent.

In some cases, the disabled parent may be eligible to receive disability insurance benefits. Some of those benefits may be used to pay child support; although, custodial parents should be aware that the benefits may not be as much as normal income. If the disabled parent is in arrears, the benefits could also potentially be garnished to pay back what the parent owes.

If a parent is ordered to pay child support, they have an obligation to make payments that are on time and in the correct amount. If the custodial parent has trouble getting the other parent to make their payments, a family law attorney may help. In some cases, the attorney may gather evidence that shows that the custodial parent has attempted to obtain child support and go to court to get the order enforced.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.