Jump to Navigation

How to choose living arrangements when a marriage ends

One pressing question that a divorcing individual in Texas needs to consider is where he or she will live once the divorce becomes final. One option may be to remain in the family home. It might also be possible to buy a new home or choose to rent a home or apartment. For many, renting is ideal as it provides a fresh start without the need to commit to an address for more than a few months.

Renting may also be ideal because an individual going through a divorce might not be in a position to make major life decisions. Furthermore, buying a home may not be feasible for those who owe child support or alimony payments. This can be especially true for those who need to buy furniture or put money into improving a home after buying it.

An individual can face the same issues when trying to buy a marital home. In some cases, it may be necessary to own it jointly with the former spouse if neither party can afford to buy the other out or can't qualify for a mortgage for any reason. Therefore, it is important to know that the former spouse can make payments and generally contribute to the cost of maintaining the home.

Those who are going through a divorce might wish to consult with a family law attorney to learn about how property is divided when a marriage ends. If desired, an attorney may work to help a person obtain the marital home in a divorce settlement. An attorney may also represent their client to receive fair outcomes when it comes to child support or alimony.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

[Picture of Bruce Turner]

Bruce Turner

In addition to his law degree, Bruce Turner has a master's degree in tax law and is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Bruce Turner - Attorney Profile Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Office Locations

Turner, Bruce E.
1603 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75234

Phone: 800-486-9553
Fax: 214-373-2570
Dallas Law Office Map

FindLaw Network
Bruce Turner with Bennett, Weston LaJone & Turner, P.C.

Attorney Bruce Turner is located in Dallas and represents people and businesses throughout DFW and the Metroplex, including Denton, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas, Corinth, Highland Village, The Colony, Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Garland and Grapevine as well as Collin County, Denton County and Dallas County in Texas.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.