Enforcement of Court Orders2018-03-19T12:34:18-05:00
iStock 537971779 e1505759189948 - Enforcement of Court Orders

Enforcement of Court Orders

Contempt of Court in Texas

Failure of one party to comply with a court order such as child custody and visitation or child support is more than just a problem for the other party, it is also a criminal act. We can help you enforce court orders by charging the offending party with contempt.

If you need assistance enforcing a court order, contact attorney Bruce Turner and his partners at the Dallas law firm Bennett, Weston, LaJone & Turner, P.C. We have decades of experience with enforcement of child custody and child support orders as well as other family law matters. We represent people seeking to enforce orders and people who have been charged with contempt, including people who are involved in high-asset divorce, custody and support cases.

Enforcing Orders and Defending Against Contempt Charges

You may file contempt charges if the other party does not comply with the court order regarding:

  • The custody arrangement, parenting plan and visitation
  • Payment of child support
  • Failure to maintain health insurance for the child
  • Failure to pay debts as ordered by the court

Contempt of court is a criminal charge with penalties that may include fines, wage garnishment and/or jail time. If you have been charged with contempt, you need an attorney to help you fight the charge. We will discuss your options and attempt to find a solution that allows you to comply with the order and stay out of jail.

For example, if you are charged with contempt for failure to pay child support, we may be able to defer the jail sentence if you resume payment and pay on the arrearage. We will try to structure your settlement/verdict so the deferral ends when child support payments are terminated. Our goal is to protect clients so they do not have to go back to court.

In cases involving a parent with complex assets, child support payments may have been set too high. People with sophisticated financial holdings may have numerous assets, but are unable to easily access them. Investments or ownership in businesses may make a person appear wealthy on paper; however, the majority of capital is likely tied up and not easily liquidated. We will demonstrate that to the judge to argue for reduced support payments and dismissal of contempt charges.

Contact Us Today