Post-Decree Modifications2018-03-19T12:34:52-05:00

Modifications to Post-Decree Orders

Helping You When Your Needs Change

After a divorce or child custody case has been finalized, there are still opportunities to request changes. If you can show that a significant change of circumstances has occurred such as a job loss, a new job or a decline in health, you can ask the court to modify the initial decision in your case.

Modifying a post-divorce order is a complex process that requires the assistance of a skilled family law attorney. You can trust in the experience of Bruce Turner and his partners at the Dallas law firm Bennett, Weston, LaJone & Turner, P.C. We have represented hundreds of men and women in requests for modifications to child custody, visitation and child support decisions.

Modifications in Texas Family Law Cases

If you need to modify a child support agreement, you must prove that there has been a significant change of circumstances. Whether you are seeking to pay less child support or are the parent requesting more child support, the burden of proof lies with you. Reasons the court may grant a modification include:

  • A change in a parent’s finances
  • A parent losing or getting a job
  • The remarriage of a parent
  • The changing health needs of a parent or child
  • A change in the child’s needs

In high-asset divorces, the court attempts to balance the reasonable needs of the child with the income of the parent paying support. However, “reasonable” does not always mean the same thing to parents, children and the judge. We will help you argue your position and gather the proof you need.

If you seek a child custody modification, the best interest of the child is still the court’s primary consideration. The court may grant custody modifications when there is a significant change in circumstances in the lives of the parents or child. In child custody modifications, this may include the fitness of a parent, drug or alcohol problems, a change in the relationship between parent and child, financial problems and failure to comply with the parenting plan.

In addition to modification of child custody and support orders, I can assist you with enforcement of these orders. If you are not receiving court-ordered child support payments, or if the other parent is not adhering to the parenting plan, we can hold him or her accountable. It may be possible to recover your attorneys’ fees from the opposing side in some cases.

Contact Us Today